Patchouli oil is an essential oil that has been used in Chinese medicine and Ayurveda for centuries. The essential oil is extracted from the patchouli plant or Pogostemon cablin which is native to Southeast Asian countries. It has been used to treat digestive issues, relieve pain, and many more. In modern times, patchouli essential oil is widely used in the cosmetics and perfume industry as it has a strong and unique scent.
The characteristic scent of patchouli essential oil is the earthy, smoky, musky, and spicy scent. The scent of the essential oil is considered strong making it a perfect combination for perfume. In addition, the scent of patchouli gives balancing and calming effects that make you free and grounded.
Interested in Essential Oil Suppliers from Indonesia, Contact Us
Patchouli oil for physical health
For a long time, Patchouli oil has been used as a natural therapy in folk medicine. Though patchouli and other essential oil cannot be used for medical reasons, it still has some benefits to improve physical health.
- Pain relief – people believe patchouli essential oil has pain relief benefits thanks to the anti-inflammatory substances. It helps soothe inflammation in the achy area such as joints.
- Digestive problems – this essential oil is also believed to reduce digestive problems. According to a study, patchouli essential oil helps reduce constipation and increase bowel movements as well as reduce nausea. In addition, Patchouli oil is also listed as an essential oil that works for weight loss. Inhaling patchouli essential oil helps you control your appetite which is why you can eat properly.
- Skin application – patchouli essential oil is widely used to improve skin condition. It helps reduce skin infections and irritation such as acne, dryness, and eczema. Further, the essential oil is also used to treat hair problems such as oily scalp and dandruff.
Patchouli oil for mental health
Other than physical health, patchouli essential oil is also used to improve mental health. Most essential oil is believed to have benefits for mental health.
- Reduce stress and depression – Patchouli oil has sedative, calming, and uplifting effects. People who inhale the scent of patchouli essential oil seem to have a better mood. According to a study, Patchouli oil has relaxing effects that can reduce disturbed behavior among people with dementia.
- Brain function – inhaling patchouli essential oil also helps improve brain function. In addition to improving behavior, the essential oil helps increase awareness and alertness so you can have better focus.
How to use patchouli oil?
Similar to other essential oil, patchouli essential oil should not be directly used on the skin or ingested. The pure essential oil contains a high concentration of patchouli that can result in irritation.
Patchouli essential oil can be diluted in a carrier oil such as avocado or coconut oil before using it for massage. Alternatively, you can add drops of the oil to body lotion, soap, and shampoo. You can also add essential oil to the diffuser so it is easier to inhale the scent. For a long-lasting scent, you can add drops of Patchouli oil under the pillow so you can have better sleep.